Friday, July 16, 2010

For the love of God!


Usually I post cute little tales that I spin for my daughters on this blog, today….not so much. You see, sometimes things happen that open your eyes a bit and make you reexamine your what’s and why’s of life. It’s that kind of day.

Today, Lori and I were talking about relationships and that led to church and that led to me voicing some long-held and unpopular opinions about The Church…those who have ears to hear…

{CAUTION: Legal flashback ahead}

When I was a boy, no…before I was born, I was raised in church. Well, not so much a church as an outdoor tent revival where my parents were singing gospel music for a long running and very popular evangelistic outpouring. Mom was about 8 months along with me and suffering from the long nights and heat, so dad brought her to his mom’s house and said, “Have that baby, I’m going back to the revival.” And that is exactly what she did, about 4 weeks early. Today that would be no biggie, but this was the mid-sixties. Infant mortality was startling for healthy babies, let alone a preemie. The doc said my odds were low. So while I spent a week in the respirator, people I will never meet joined my family and church family in falling on their faces in prayer for me. In the seer, dry grass and dirt under a faded white and red tent, they sent up unending intercession. And I love them all for it.

So I am a miracle baby (don’t tell anyone, but we are all miracle babies.) The parents didn’t make toooo big of a deal about it, well…OK, they actually did. I became part of the show. That sounds much more cynical than it should, but there was an element of showmanship to leading worship that dad was pretty good at. I lived in church with my brothers. I was that kid crawling under the pews and making gum boogers to make my friends laugh at the worst times. Today I would have been on something for the ADHD. Then, I wound up on stage.

We travelled from Pennsylvania to Florida during the summers as itinerant minstrels of God’s gospel. I remember loading up the bus just after school was out and having no idea where we would be the next day. We always (God’s providence, some say) had money for fuel and food and another town to sing to. So I’ve seen a lot of churches. More importantly, I’ve seen a lot of church people. That is the problem.

Perhaps this over-exposure is to blame, or youthful rebellion or the pride of intellectualism led me astray. Whatever the reason, I became disenchanted with The Church at an early age. It is a seriously flawed place. The Ideal is too hard to live up to and when we inevitably fail, we fall into the feeding frenzy of gossip and condemnation that isn’t supposed to be there, but is. Grace is preached, but rarely practiced.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am still moved by the message, but The Church is just awful. It is static and more often a social club than the Bride of Christ. Petty bickering and power struggles are the norm. And God forbid you should ever have toooo great a sin. Then you have to sit in the pew of shame for as long as Mrs. Grundy decrees. Awful. Just awful.

So Lori asked me, “Given all of your problems with it, why do you still go?” I had a few answers. Could be habit and wanting to pass along the same message to my kids, but that’s not true. Could be a sense of community and belonging, but that’s not it either.

I still go to church because God still speaks to me there. I hear Him profoundly in the sanctuary. I hear him in Nature, too, but The Church is where I have the most frequent and manifest spiritual experiences. You can have epiphanies anywhere, and I’m sure many people do. Many people devote their lives to spiritual purity and exploration, countless hours of meditation and prayer just to have a glimpse of the Face of God. When all over the world, it happens every Sunday. People with diverse agendas and mixed motivations come together and have divine communion, in spite of how flawed The Church is.

So why do so many people hate The Church when it is a clear road to enlightenment? Why do I hate The Church so much, so often? Is it the reflection of my own failings that I despise? I really don’t know. I also don’t know how a variable camshaft works, but it doesn’t stop me from driving my car. God speaks to me there, so there is where I’m going to go.

Unexamined life? No, just practical. I like food too much to be an ascetic monk staring at his belly button and pondering the meaning of life. I have too many commitments to run off and live in a cave. I could easily join the New Age movements around me. Many of them are appealing and are truly blessed. But, I’m a big fan of the whole Grace thing Jesus has going whether the churchgoers around me show it or not. So I will go to church and seek the Face of God right here in Parkersburg, West Virginia.

I bet I find Him.

10 comments:

Christine said...

I couldn't agree more my friend. Thank you for sharing. I had to laugh when you were talking about crawling under the pew...that is sooo my son (could picture u doing that as well!)My experience is quite different. My parents never went to church. I went quite a bit with my friends to know enough about it...to know what I agreed and disagreed with. The first time I remember "feeling the presence of God" was in high school at a small little church of no more than 20 or 30 people, but they believed in God. Previous churches I had been to were snobish and more or a social status thing. Aweful. As I drifted away in college I began questioning the very existance of God. I had such a hard time buying into what "church" said about God, but I always remembered the feeling I got in that church. I knew there was another answer.
Over the last 8 yrs or so I have been searching, and yes you are right, God is in the church and yes his presence is strong there (especially if there are a lot of true believers present...) This is why I, as well go to church, that and the music! One of the major problems for me with the church is dogma! There is more than one path to God and enlightenment! That and the whole notion that this is the only life our soul will live on earth and the only chance we get here! Wrong! What would be the point? Where's the lesson in that? No we are spiritual beings (souls) here on earth for the evolvement of our soul. We keep coming back until we get it right! Then we enter the kingdom of God or heaven as the bible describes.

Martha Oxley said...

Jesse, I couldn't have said it better myself. Its like you took the words right out of MY life, right down to the traveling/singing/evangelizing family. God bless you for putting this into words. The church has missed the message, and made this thing too hard. I love my church family, and will always hold strong ties there; I'm thankful for my heritage, and I am proud to pass it on to my daughters. However, I am also trying to show them that Christianity should be about LOVE, not judgement, and if we see someone struggling, give them some room to learn, but still be there to love them. If judgement is necessary, Jesus will handle it.
Thanks again for sharing your heart on this. Very well put, my friend!

jc said...

Christine, I believe Christianity is the closest revelation of divinity available to man today. I also believe it is incomplete as it is taught today. There is more to be done, even with just the canon we already have. We are just too lazy to do it.

Martha, thanks so much for commenting! And yes, I did a little fist pump when I read your words. Someone else gets it!! You said it better i think when you said, "The church has missed the message, and made this thing too hard." Spot on, my friend.

Chickee said...

oooh ooh oooh pick me pick me!! I know why you go to Church!

Because The Church should be made up of people like you. =) That way people like me might attempt to re-enter once in a while.

Instead I look at the building and I do not see Godliness I see gossip and power struggles. I aolso see myself as a child being made to feel inferior and unloved by God. Therefore I keep on going and worship God in my own way. i know it's right for me and also for him because it 'feels' right and good. =)

As a child I was curious about those outdoor revival tents that popped up every Summer around here. My Dad would just drive by muttering about "bible bangers." I always pictured showtime healings and snake oil salesmen inside those tents. I know it probably wasn't but still that is what I saw.

Chickee said...

oops I meant to say "I keep on driving by..."

jc said...

Hey Chickee! You seriously made me LOL. Thx.

I think we expect too much and too little from the Church. Too much in that we want the bible school picture of Jesus sitting on a rock with a crowd of kids around Him. All sunshine and smiles. We want THAT Jesus, the one from the flannelgraph stories, to greet us at the door and wrap us in a hug that makes all our booboos
melt away. That Jesus was here and left the job to us poor, imperfect humans.

We expect too little because we don't have more Christians making the sincere effort to be that Jesus. To reflect that love and warmth.

On a side note, if you ever see another tent revival...go in. It is an experience worth having.

Chickee said...

=) I am glad to make you smile. As for goign to the tent revival,,, we shall see. I admit to a huge curiosity but also a nagging prejudice that probably needs to be adressed.

The Bible story books you speak of.. Every weekend at the laundr-o-mat with Mom. There were these huge hard cover boks with wonderful stories and even more wonderful illustrations. I poured over those pictures and imagined myself as one of those children sitting in front of Jesus. =)

jc said...

I still like to picture myself that way. Thx, Chickee!

UnequivocalKate said...

For some reason I'm not getting notifications of your blog posts. Boo. :( I wandered over tonight to see if you'd been writing and I'm glad I did.

I like what you've said here, Jesse. You're being true to yourself, finding God where he's most evident to you. That's as it should be; you're not going because someone told you that all good Christians must, you're going because, well, you said God speaks to you there. That works.

I spent most of my life looking for God in church - in organized religion - and I doggedly stayed with it, did my best to find God where I was told he'd be. When I finally realized it was wrong for me, I was scared to death. If not church then where?!! I thought that losing my religion meant giving up my faith.

I was wrong. What I discovered is that, for me, God is present when I'm barefoot in the grass, riding my horse, playing with my children, hugging my husband, sitting with my dog at my feet... When I leave to go find him, it's like I'm walking away from him and trying to conjure him up somewhere else, just because someone else told me that's what I'm suppose to do.

I don't hate the church but my heart aches for her. I'm glad you're in it, Jesse, and I'm glad that people like our mutual friend Jay are there with you. I see evidence of God in your kindness, compassion, and honesty. Obviously, you are where you are meant to be. You were made to find God there. I was made to find him in the breeze. That doesn't mean you're living an unexamined life and I'm a New Age freak (I'd love to be a monk in a cave!), it just means we're different people. God's always rocking that variety thing. ;)

I think this is my favorite blog from you, ever. I'm so glad I didn't miss it.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

jc said...

Wow, I wasn't getting notifications either. I apologize for the delayed response. Wonder what happened? I may have to move this to another site.

Thank you, Katy for your insightful response. You always make me think and question my stances. i like that.

I didn't intend this to go where it did, but I'm glad it rambled over into religion in general, not just my childhood memories of church.

I left out a bunch of stuff that happened with regard to my questioning God. But, I believe the main gist came thru. I believe there is a place for you and me in the Church, just not the stereotypical roles.

I believe the key may be to become a bit selfish in our pursuit of God. Getting caught up in the human administration efforts of the church grinds away at our passion for God, dulls us to His calling. If you are as much like me as I think, you will have to learn to say "no thank you" a lot to keep from being drowned in expectation and assigned duties that weigh so heavily on us and keep us from seeking the face of God.

Let me know if you happen onto a place where you are comfy in church again.