Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Feels Like the First Time

May 27th, 1984. It was the day after the regional track meet. I had qualified for State in the 110 meter high hurdles and in the shuddles. We had set school records in both and were totally psyched to be in the hunt for a state medal. The family had let me sleep in since I got home so late the night before. So here I was, full of good news and no one to tell. They had all gone to church and then over to Copen for the softball tourneys.

It was a magick day, like only May in Appalachia can be. High puffy clouds in a crisp blue sky with a warm day and low humidity heralded a top ten day. I loaded into the Subaru and headed out to the ballfield behind Uncle Junior’s house in Copen.

Copen is a little town up a holler in the middle of nowhere West Virginia. Its sole distinction is it is where my mom’s family is from. Another story, another time. I rolled in around noonish, just as the games were getting under way. My great aunt Carrie was in a lawn chair under the maple tree in front of the house. She was one of the greatest people I ever met and I had a great day chatting with her for an hour or two.

I was never a softball player, but I enjoyed watching. So that’s what I did. I sat and looked around. It was in the second game when I noticed a little red haired girl in a white belly shirt, watching the game and occasionally watching me. Cute splash of freckles with a coppery/gold cascade of gently falling curls framing the ubiquitous over-sized glasses that were all the rage in the 80’s. It wasn’t long before I was sitting beside her having a quiet conversation.

I found out she was the wingman to her friend Barb who was there with a specific target in mind. Since things were going well there, Lori had nothing to do but watch the game and chat with me. Eventually the games wound down and I walked Lori to her car. She was driving a brand-spanking new Dodge Shelby, silver with a blue racing strip, totally hot ride. I turned to this girl I had known for a few hours, kissed her on the cheek and asked her to marry me. She said, “OK.” Then I asked to drive her car.

I snagged the keys out of her hand and pounded that little roadster up the road, leaving her behind and opting for my brother Jason as copilot. How in the world she stuck around is a mystery to me. We finished the night with a trip over to Burnsville dam, along with about 20 other people from the game. Something special about youth and water worked its magic that night. All I will say is that I wrote her number in the dust on the rear windshield of my car and prayed to God that it would not rain.

That was 26 years ago today. Lori is still with me and I am blessed beyond reason. Thank you, Lori for being my wife and the mother of my children. I know you don’t believe me, but I still see that little red-headed girl in the belly shirt every time I look at you. Muah!

2 comments:

l4f5chap said...

You are so totally the only one I would want to have spent the rest of my youth and adulthood with. I love you Mr. Chapman.

jc said...

Gosh, I hope you are my wife. LOL. I'm just like Charlie Brown, forever in love with the little red-haired girl.