Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tubing

     When I was a boy… we had magic winters. Snow fell often and heavy, staying for weeks and coloring the world in perfect white blankets. Some snow was wet and heavy, the kind that downed power lines for days. Some snow was dry and powdery, blowing and drifting but never amounting to much. Some snow was actually frost from the river water that diamond-coated the trees along the banks and left the hills brown and wanting.


     But no matter what kind of snow we had, we did what every kid always does with snow. We found a hill and slide down it. What we slid on varied widely. When my mom was a girl, her family would slide down hills on coal shovels or (rather terrifyingly) upturned truck hoods. Imagine a pile of kids clinging to sharp bits of metal while hurtling down a snowy hillside to roll off just before crashing into the creek at the bottom. Amazed the old girl lived to childbearing age, really.


     The first sled I remember had runners and those curious foot pegs which I suppose could be used for steering except they never worked. I remember spending far too much time waxing those cold steel runners while inside all I wanted to do was scream “LET”S GO!!!! The snow will melt!” I believe the wax ploy was a clever way for parents to minimize actual sled time and hopefully stave off the inevitable tear-filled post crash party.


     We weren’t limited to sleds for our snow riding adventures. We would use just about anything for a quick speed fix. Cardboard, trashcan lids, a plastic ice chest lid, even a simple trash bag made for a passable sled. But the greatest thing for winter fun, without a doubt, had to be a tire inner tube.


     I’m not sure who the first person was that decided to blow up an inner tube and slide down a snow covered hill, but I’m sure he is in every kid’s hall of fame. Tubing, as it was called, quickly left the cumbersome old wood and steel sleds in the dust. Lighter, cheaper and with a built in trampoline effect, what could have been better? Well, a longer run, I suppose. Which is exactly what we got when we moved out of the valley and up on the hill.


     Our driveway was over a thousand feet of terror in the summer with a steep slope and precipitous drop offs. Add a foot of snow, and a dream run was suddenly opened up. Of course, you can’t just hop on a tube and make it to the bottom in one go. No no no. The first guy would slide about 30 or 40 feet before the build up of snow overcame gravity, leaving him to hoof it back up while the next brother or neighbor kid had a go with the second tube. He would crash along a bit further and so on, until we had a bobsled run of packed snow that went all the way to the paved road below.


     Using a driveway as a sled run has a few drawbacks. Obviously, the track will be spoiled by the inevitable truck using it for …well, a driveway. Did I mention the precipitous drop offs? Ask your uncle Jim about those. I’m sure he had plenty of time to think on this short coming when he went over the edge and tumbled down a double black diamond slope filled with boulders and scrub pine. Worst of all was that once you dropped down that first pitch and rounded a turn, it was a solo sport. What fun is screaming down a death defying mountain if your buds can’t see you? The cure was a short hike away at the Collins’ house.


     The Collins family had a large open field behind their house that was just the right pitch for tubing. What it lacked in stomach-dropping plunges, it made up for in friends and wide open spaces with plenty of room for multiple tracks and a guaranteed audience. Even daylight was no limit to our fun.


     You see the tire inner tubes had to come from somewhere. That somewhere was a truck tire which also made for a great bonfire out on the hillside. A burning truck tire was perfect for light and heat and greatly extended our play time. I know, I know…not a very environmentally conscious thing to do. But the phrase “environmentally conscious” had yet to be invented, so shush. Of course, someone had to light these fires, and that is where the story draws to a sad close.


     One winter the older boys had gotten their drivers licenses and weren’t around to oversee us younger kids. A perfect snow day was winding down, when someone (name omitted to protect the guilty) decided we should start a tire fire and keep going. The idea is that you pile up a couple of tires, pour on a little diesel fuel (gas is too explosive) then light it while staying low and far from the open fuel. The first two parts I got right. The lighting bit went somewhat wrong.


     I intended to hunker down, extend my arm to the edge of the fuel, then turn my head and flick the lighter. That’s what I intended. What actually happened was that I light the Bic, then slipped in the snow and plunged my fire-wielding fist right into the center of the tires and the half gallon of diesel. I’m sure the ensuing fireball that completely enveloped my body was a thing of cinematic beauty. Imagine the napalm scene in Apocalypse Now. I’m also sure that the blackened and smoky toboggan I was wearing saved my scalp from permanent scarring. However, nothing could be done about the singed eyebrows I would sport for the next few weeks.

     Lesson learned.

4 comments:

Chickee said...

Oh My Lord!! This brought back so many memories of my childhood. I miss sledding, but not the trip back up the hill.

My sled of choice was an el cheapo red plastic tobbagon.

Our Grammy's driveway was exactly as you described your driveway. We'd lay on our bellys and use hands covered with thick gloves dragging on the ground to stear. A pair of gloves would be ruined with each snowfall. =)

If we were unable to get to Gram's place. Well.. there was a park up the road a bit, but that was too tame for my bunch. Not even a block from my house is a place called The Sand Pit. A huge gaping hole dug by a quarry to gather you guessed it rock ot gind for sand. Anyway, the side of that thing were so steep we didn't even bother with sleds. We'd wear snow suits and plummel feet first to the bottom, in a position much like they use on those big water slides in parks today. Upon hitting the bottom you would have to relax your legs and use them as shock absorbers because the runs were so steep that even though you were lying down, you were in a standing position. =)

God those were amazing days. It's also amazing that none of us ever suffered a serious injury.

I hope your eyebrows grew back and you went out to sled another day. =)

jc said...

Yeah, they grew back. But that tobogan was ruined. Your Sand Pit sounds awesome!. I had to blast the kids out of the house this year to go sledding for half an hour. Sheesh. Stupid video games are ruining our youth. What kind of cool stories are they going to have to tell?

Anonymous said...

We went down the steep well road at the end of mom and dad's field using inner tubes as well.

After 25 years I guess it is good that you can still come up with something I did not know about you. Singed the eyebrows huh? So glad they did not grow back as a mono-brow.

jc said...

LOL!!! Me too. I never knew you went tubing back there. Something new about you too.